Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat n glo fireplace

Posted by azure1969 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 1:39

We've just moved into a new house that has the heat n glo ST-42TVFL fireplace.

http://www.heatnglo.com/products/fireplaces/gasFireplaceDetail.asp?f=06200

It is a 2 room fireplace and looks spectacular.
However, unless you're within a foot of the fireplace, the heat effect seems to be negligible.
About 10 feet from the fireplace, there's almost no effect of the fireplace at all (even after 30 minutes).

Is this fireplace just for aesthetics only?
Anything I can do to improve the radiated heat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat n glo fireplace

I could not tell from the website whose address you provided whether this model uses direct vent technology, which is the optimal for efficient, safe heat generation. However, what I can say is that our direct vent gas insert throws off a good comfortable heat in the area immediately in front of the fireplace, and the farther you move from the unit, the less warm it is. Some of these units come equipped with circulating fans which can be noisy, especially at high speed. The better ones are okay at low speed. We haven't bothered to use the fan in ours.

If your unit is a direct vent unit, there is one option you might want to consider to circulate the heated air more broadly. Get a ceiling fan that is adjustable, that is one that blows DOWN in warm weather and UP in cold weather. Some adjustable fans do both things by reversing the direction of the motor. Some do it by changing the angle of the paddles. We have such a fan, but again have not yet tried it. But you must make sure you have direct vent design, because if you don't your fireplace probably works by creating an updraft, sucking air from the room up the chimney. The fan I described would work against that vital updraft and cause smoke to fill the room. With direct vent, that's not an issue because the firebox is sealed and there is no effect on the indoor air.

o
RE: Heat n glo fireplace

I'm guessing you've figured this out by now, but yes contemporary fireplaces are simply for looks, not heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here