Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repairing inner hearth (floor) of brick firebox

Posted by srahe (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 18, 06 at 1:11

Hi
the inner hearth (the "floor" area directly under where the logs sit) of my 1920s brick fireplace firebox had a layer of cement or mortar over the firebricks. There are some area where some mortar is missing and I can see the bricks underneath.

I'd like to repair this before making a fire - but I'd also like to do it right to reduce the chance that it will fail again. I understand that I should use fireclay mortar or refractory mortar...can I just spots patch the missing areas and feather it into the existing other mortar? Or should I lay down a new layer of mortar across the entire inner hearth?

Some spots are 1/2" to 3/4" deep...how thick can it be laid on or should I build up several thin layers?

Any other sugguestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repairing inner hearth (floor) of brick firebox

You should be able to spot patch without major difficulties. Just be sure to remove any loose or powdery mortar from the original layer. It's also important to moisten the old mortar and the underlying brick in the areas you're patching in order to achieve a strong bond between old and new.

o

This is exactly what I'm working on (except no brick underneath), but I'm also dealing with areas I'd like to just skim in the inner hearth. So I'm wondering about a product that can fill 1" deep holes and also just skim and that will bond well. I will have some areas as thin as 1/8 or less.

o

Rutland fireplace mortar will do the trick. Less than $10 for a caulking gun tube. Clean area well and wet with water first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here