Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Ventless fireplace - multiple issues

Posted by jatkinson (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 0:48

I have a ventless fireplace in my condo that has never worked quite right from the day we moved in. There are many issues, and after paying a technician to come out two different times, I am sick of dumping money into it. I want to get figured out what is going on, so maybe if a tech needs to come out again, I can give some "direction".

First, it makes a horrible smell. I have tried to open the doors and windows, but it really doesn't go away. Second, I have a combo carbon monoxide/smoke detector that always goes off when I turn on the fireplace. Only the smoke side goes off though. Third, after running for about 10 minutes it shuts itself off, including the pilot light. Finally, the pilot light is about 4 inches high. Maybe that is normal because it is mostly blue with only a spot of yellow at the top, I have just never seen one that high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Ventless fireplace - multiple issues

Consumer Reports has a couple of pages of information about ventless units. They are bad and dangerous, and many building codes outlaw them. They pollute the indoor air. They consume oxygen. They are a safety hazard. I suspect your experience is not unusual with these units.

RE: Ventless fireplace - multiple issues

I am no techno or expert, but what you described is exactly what our fireplace retailer just described would happen to my ventless fireplace logs because they are 7 years old. He said no brand is designed to last that long and you can tell if they are old and need replaced if they start to have a bad smell and they don't stay lit. Mine is not having that issue at all so I just posted asking about the lifespan of ventless. We'll see what the experts say on the longevity of ventless units. We have loved our over the past 7 years, stays lit, heats the whole house, and never a smell. We keep the carbon monixide unit about 3 feet from the fireplace and it has never alarmed. Do you know what age your logs are?

Best wishes,

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here