Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franceymargaret

Help I want a fireplace

franceymargaret
11 years ago

Well I have a fireplace, its in a box in the middle of the living room. Its a direct vent gas fireplace. I thought I could do this myself and I have all the tools and some construction experience. My main problem is its an inside wall in a 2 story house. There is easy gas access from the basement where I would like it to go so, I was thinking about opening the wall to "build it into the wall" But I have seen many photos of fireplaces that have a large bump out. I do have the room to bump out, but I am wondering about what is inside the wall behind where it will go. Its kind of weird and hard to explain but there is a pantry cupboard between the fireplace wall and the outside. I think that will be a good "Chase" but will loose some storage in the kitchen. Ventless are too dangerous and I don't think they are code approved in this state anyway. I'm Just wondering if any one out there has had this experience before? If I go straight up I might go through a closet in a hall way. If I only had xray vision into the walls, Should I open up the whole wall or move??
:) Im brave but bravery is some time not so smart. And my husband will kill me if if I tear open a wall and make a disaster of this. I don't know a carpenter and I don't have much $ but I have tools!! but I'm losing my nerve.
HELP

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

You may have the tools but maybe not the skills and certainly not the knowledge. My advice is to go the bank, take out a loan and hire someone to do this.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

Installation of a fireplace is not, I guess I can use bold type here, but I must repeat not a DIY project. You speak of codes when talking about the ventless people killers available in some jurisdictions, talk about working outside building codes self installation just is not an option unless of course you are a gasfitter, combustion tech, have all of your HVAC tickets up to date etc. I imagine you get my point.

Oh, and buy the way if god forbid a fire, explosion, gas leak etc. should occur your insurance provider will tell you sorry about your loss and hang up. So whatever the cost for professional installation accompanied with a building permit it certainly pales in comparison to loss due to the aforementioned possibilities of something not done correctly.

Nothing personal but you frighten me.

• ayesha_irshad
    11 years ago

if you are inexperienced then creating a fireplace will be a hazardous task... u must hire a professional... otherwise leave the idea of fireplace.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I installed a gas direct-vent fireplace with no experience. Here are the issues.

You have to build a good frame for it with the specs provided by the manufacturer. There are specific clearances that must be built in- you cannot simply put the fireplace where you want it. You have to know what materials are in place already all along the route of the vent, because you cannot have insulation, etc., within a certain distance. So you will have to know exactly what is in your walls, the pantry you are considering gutting, the ceilings above, and the attic of your house.

You must follow all of the directions perfectly, without cutting any corners.

You must first understand how walls are framed if you will be cutting studs in a wall. You can buy yourself a framing book.

You will have to put a hole through your roof, so buy yourself a roofing book if you don't already know how to install vents, etc. into the roof.

You have to know how to cut and thread gas pipe and how to check it accurately for leaks.

You have to know something about electricity if it has electronic ignition and you have to wire it correctly to the switch. You may need a book for that.

You need a permit if you want fire insurance.

After you have installed the fireplace, call a licensed hvac guy to check it all over, adjust the parts for propane/natural gas, check the front glass, check the ignition system and set up the logs and little bits of embers for the first time. Write everything down. My fireplace did not come with adequate instructions on these things, and I'll bet yours does not either.

I love my fireplace- we have it on almost every day in the winter. Good luck with your project.