Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Inspection found cracks

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 0:13

Fifty-year old house is for sale. Have serious buyers. Home inspector found some cracks on outside chimney and on some bricks on the face. Suggested the buyers have the chimney inspected before buying. Thought a new liner or chimney might be necessary. As I am the seller, if repair needs to be done what could that cost? I don't want to lose the sale but can't afford to spend a fortune.

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Inspection found cracks

Our inspector failed to notice our fireplace appears to be pulling away from the outside wall.

Our house is about 30 years old. It's on my list of things to do but I was just going to get a chimney inspection to find out if there are any real problems. I think my problem sounds way bigger than yours. It wouldn't hurt to call someone qualified and find out if there are any real problems. It might not be all that bad!

We use to have a fireplace at our other place (now a rental), I'm tired of them. They're a lot of work... all that cleaning every season and buying wood, and listening to the husband complain about how hot it is.

o
RE: Home Inspection found cracks

I just finished an update in my post "Chimney Fire". The steps I took may be of help to you. Knowledge is power and things might not be as bad or expensive as concerned. Liners run about $1200 - $1500 installed. We finished up at $600 with a professional chimney guy found through Craiglist. He even sourced out and fixed a "draw" problem the upstairs fireplace has had since built.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here