Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Fireplace/ gas starter.

Posted by rysox (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 0:00

Ive never owned a fireplace before moving into my latest address. It has an older fireplace, vented thru a chimney and what also looks like a damper/vent on the side of house.

It has a gas starter I believe, which is turned on and off by a key type tool. There is no standing pilot light. The damper is closed. and there is a vent thats opens and closes into the living space.

I havent tried to use it yet, I just vacuumed out the old owners mess from inside.

How do I use such a fireplace? And I am concerned about its safety since it has a gas starter. Please advise.

also,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Fireplace/ gas starter.

This would be a wood burning fireplace with a gas starter used to start the wood fire. Place the wood on the grate first, then get you one of those long handle butane lighters. Ignite the butane lighter, hold the flame even with the flame ports on the gas starter and turn the key. Once the wood starts burning turn the key off. I assume this fireplace has doors of some kind and the vent into the house is for air into the fireplace. The damper needs to be fully opened before you start the wood. This is a basic example and one would really need to see your application before given exact advice, you may need someone to come over and look at it, don't be embarrassed to ask, everyone had to be taught to do everything they know how to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here