Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chimney shroud?

Posted by poorowner (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 23:07

I have a shround on my chimney and I remember the inspector suggested me to remove it because it collects water or something to do with leakage. Has anyone heard of this happening? What does a shroud do anyway? I looked around and no one has this..

It looks like it's held on by 4 nails or screws. If I remove it do I use something like Henry's roofing caulking to cover up the hole?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chimney shroud?

You might try posting your question in the forum at hearth.com. The participants in that forum have a lot of expertise and devotion to fireplace issues.

o
RE: chimney shroud?

Yes, an improperly made chimney shroud can collect water and end up damaging your chase pan/ chimney chase.

Getting a new or replacement Chimney Cap can be a daunting process, but there are several companies which can make that process easier! Chimney King makes 89 high quality styles of Chimney Caps in 70 different finishes. Currently, the most popular finish is copper (www.chimneyking.com/finishes for all finishes).

Chimney King is the leading manufacturer of custom built, UL listed Chimney Caps in the USA. Without a UL listing for your specific fireplace/chase combination, you stand a chance of voiding your OEM warranty on those products. Poorly built, non-UL listed shrouds are a very serious problem and can cause fires if put on improperly.

Please visit us or give us a call today for more information.
---
Derek Lidstrom
Chimney King
Phone: (847) 244-8860
sales@chimneyking.com
www.chimneyking.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Chimney King

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here