Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wainscot a fireplace

Posted by bsspewer (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 23:06

Below is a photo of my current fireplace. I'm about to install new hardwood flooring in this room, and I'd like to update the look of the fireplace.

I've seen some fireplaces with a wainscot look. Can I do the same with mine by keeping the current mantel, painting it white, and building a paneled wainscot on top of the tile that surrounds the fireplace? The biggest worry I have is having wood paneling so close to the edges (glued over the current tile).

Photos of current fireplace, and a similar design that I'd like to achieve:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wainscot a fireplace

Wow, that mantle looks classy, I'd surely hate to recommend painting it but it has been done for a lot of years and is surely according to ones personal tastes. What you want to do has a classy traditional look to it. I think, from my looking at a lot of older homes with the look you are after, you shouldn't have many issues doing what you want. On most that I have seen where the fireplace gets used, I've seen some discoloring where a small amount of smoke may have escaped from time to time.

o
RE: Wainscot a fireplace

Thanks Windslam. I'm painting over the old mantle in the interest of saving money.

I can easly do the wainscoting. It's not that hard. I'm just worried about code violations with putting it up as I'm thinking. The only code information I can easily find on fireplaces only stated that a distance of 6 inches from the top of the fireplace opening to any combustables must be mantained.

Since my fireplace has those vents above the fireplace, I think I'll be safe. I'm just here trying to assure myself of my own thinking :)

If worse comes to worse, I'd buy a longer mantle and put the light tile (the ones laid out on the hearth) around the fireplace with my wainscot design on the outer edges of the tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here