Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace demolition and removal

Posted by
greg-builder
(gw:greg-builder) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 22:26

I am doing some demolition aroud my house which will include stone fireplace can anyone tell me if demolition of just fireplace without taking down chimney is possible ?
I hope i am making it clear enough , i want to remove the fireplace inside and plug the chimney and cover the wall with sheetrock is it ok ? are there any stractual concerns ?
response greatly appriciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace demolition and removal

There are many structural concerns. Assuming this is a masonry chimney, its entire weight is born by the fireplace and then down to the footings beneath the fireplace. Demolishing just the fireplace basically leaves the chimney with no support. A collapse of the chimney - in who knows what direction - may or may not occur immediately, but the first high winds... In short, don't attempt to do this. A masonry chimney, especially if it is stone like the fireplace weighs many, many tons; the potential for huge damage to your house, not to mention its occupants, is almost guaranteed.
You might also consider that a fireplace adds coniderably to the resale value of your home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here