Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some help - removing some fireplace brick

Posted by canuck88 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 21:50

Hi all,

We'd like to remove the top two rows of brick to lower our mantel (we want the TV above, but currently it's a bit too high for our taste). however, when I removed the current mantel I discovered that behind the brick facade appears to be poured concrete. I'm not sure how far down the concrete goes...

Should I still be trying to take the top two rows out or is this a lost cause??

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some help - removing some fireplace brick

If this is an actual wood burning fireplace -

you might still be able to remove the two rows of brick, and use a concrete saw and chisel - and cut/smooth down the concrete to the required level.

HOWEVER - before you do this - you would need to examine the outside structure carefully. And probably have a chimney person come on out, and give you some advice, or what he thought options would be, and how much possibly they wouold charge.

Reason being - a wood burning fireplace needs a chimney. A true birck chimney WEIGHS a lot! Concrete has been used as a foundation for a brick chimney. So you need to know what the concrete is doing, purpose of, etc. before you go cutting into it. But I have a lot of concrete tools, and concrete cutting tools do exist, so it could be cut... just need to know more stuff before you go messing with it.

Might even ask a structural engineer to come on out, and take a look. Depends on how bad you want to watch Frasier with the TV at the desired height :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here