Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcfadden_gw

Want your reco for a direct-vent gas fireplace

kmcfadden
18 years ago

We're interested in adding a gas fireplace to our living room. We'd place it on an outside wall, so looking at direct vent models. Which brand do your recommend? Anything in particular we should look out for in terms of features, bells & whistles?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

• twocats_wy
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a Fireplace Xtrordinair natural gas insert (made to go in an existing fireplace), but FPX also makes fireplace units for new construction.

No problems w/ the FPX in the two years I've used it. I've posted several times about this unit on this forum in case you want to do a search.

FPX offers fireplace units in various sizes & BTU outputs. You buy the firebox size you want & choose a faceplate (several styles & finishes available). I haven't bought a fireplace, so have no knowledge of how you "finish" one, but I believe FPX has an alliance with a company that makes mantles, etc. if that's the look you want.

My info is two years old, but FPX did offer an optional remote control to turn the unit on & off, operate the blower speed (if it has one) & control the flame height. Other options included a thermostat to turn the unit on automatically (like a furnace) & a ducting system to share the heated air with an adjacent room. The FPX can operate as a radiant heater in the event of a power outage, but would need a backup power source if you wanted to run the blower.

In terms of maintenance, FPX recommends an annual cleaning & inspection. I confess I waited until this year to have that done, and the service guy only needed to vacuum out dust & clean the inside of the glass -- said the burner, etc. looked fine.

Other manufacturers probably have similar features. The various manufacturers offer different interior & exterior appearances, so, if possible, visit dealers in your area to see the ("live") units in person so you get a feel for what you like.

Check the BTU ranges & efficiency ratings. Your choice may depend on if you want the unit to be a heat source or more for ambiance. Some units come with a blower; on others, it's optional. Most units will work with LP or natural gas, but ratings might vary w/ the fuel source.

If you want to operate the unit in the event of a power outage, make sure it's capable of doing that.

One trend in fireplace units is to have a huge, "to the floor" viewing area w/ the controls "hidden" on a wall elsewhere rather than built into the unit. "Town & Country" is one brand that does this. I know nothing about the company or how convenient it is to install/operate the unit, but I saw one on display at our local stove store & the appearance was impressive.

In addition to FPX -- which is part of Travis Industries, along with the Avalon & Lopi brands -- the Mendota and Harman brands get good reviews on this board.

Another option might be a freestanding gas stove rather than a fireplace, but, again, what "look" you want -- as well as your budget -- may determine your choice.

The only other point I can think of right now is, work with a good, reputable local dealer.

There are lots of options out there. Most of the manufacturers have websites, with varying degrees of usefulness. I found that with FPX, for example, the brochure I picked up from the dealer was much more informative than the website (again, that was two years ago). The FPX site does have a great "design (photo) gallery" in case you want to get an idea of how their unit styles fit into varius room designs (traditional, period, contemporary, informal, etc.).

Good luck w/ your research.