Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soapstone for fireplace hearth?

Posted by jess111 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 21:06

I want to replace the ugly ceramic floor tiles that make up the hearth in front of the fireplace.

I found what looks like a pretty piece of malibu green, which from what I'm reading is not actually soapstone, but serpentine. I have no idea what the heck that is. it's a wood burning fireplace with a box that is rather low to the ground, with only a few inches of vents between the box and the floor. The current hearth is carpet level and just rests on the plywood subfloor, so I assume that the soapstone would be fine, but I know little about these materials.

Lastly, can this stone be finished with chiseled edges?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soapstone for fireplace hearth?

Since that serpentine thing is probably some kind of tile and is therefore not combustible, it will be appropriate to use in the hearth. But you would have to check with a tile installer/fabricator to find out whether it can be beveled.

o
RE: Soapstone for fireplace hearth?

Soapstone is a superb material on or near a fireplace. Our free-standing woodstove has a soapstone fire-box and sides; it both looks good (my opinion), and absorbs a great deal of heat that it radiates to the room for hours after the fire has burned out.

However, it is a very soft stone, so I wouldn't want it where it's going to get much foot traffic.

--Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here