Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From wood to gas

Posted by vikki_wa (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 21:02

We would like to convert our wood burning fireplace (built in 1954, no fan) to gas. I don't like the look of gas inserts and don't want the inefficiency of simply plumbing in a gas logset. What I want is a gas fireplace that can be vented out the existing chimney. Is it safe to assume we have to remove all or most of the existing firebox? What is involved in a project of this kind? Also, we have a second fireplace directly below in the basement so our chimney has two "chambers".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From wood to gas

A gas insert is essentially a sealed firebox fitted inside your existing firebox. Your existing firebox is not removed, but may need to be modified slightly, for instance, if it is equipped with attached grates on which you pile on the wood.

A direct vent system is the optimal because it is sealed and does not adversely affect indoor air quality. It is energy efficient, clean and safe. But it is the most costly and complicated to install because 2 vents are attached to the insert and installed into the chimney. So your chimney would have to be checked out by a competent installation contractor to find out if it can be done.

The alternatives are vented and ventless gas logs. I think ventless are a big mistake. You can find out why by doing a search for ventless on this forum. Vented gas logs are pretty -- they make a nice "realistic" flame, actually more realistic than the real thing. But most of the heat goes up the chimney, so they are not energy efficient. They work reasonably well in taking the chill out of the air when the outside temp is about 40. But if you think you will want serious heat, you should go with direct vent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here