Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent Free - Do they smell ?

Posted by steph1 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 20:43

I have a basement masonary fireplace that is a woodburning fireplace. I am looking at options. A dealer said they sell vent free gas log sets. From what he said, I would install them and then shut my damper so the chimney is shut off. This would allow the log set to burn and the heat stays in the room. He said the downside is that it can make the room smell.

Is this actually true regarding its operation and smells?

I was basically trying to make this thing more efficient and easier than wood burning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent Free - Do they smell ?

To answer your question succinctly, yes, they do; at least my two, since replaced ones, did.

o
RE: Vent Free - Do they smell ?

There is a good deal of controversy about vent-free installations. They are unsafe and are code violations in many communities, especially in sleeping rooms because they can poison the air and kill people. The optimal system is a "direct vent" system, which does not alter the quality of indoor air and is highly efficient. They are costly to install, but produce serious heat. Do a search on DIRECT VENT in this forum and find out more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here