Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank1890

regency, or country stoves

frank1890
15 years ago

hey all, we want to supplement our heat with wood. Our house is small(1200sq ft on first floor) The local store sells vermont castings( I am not crazy about them, heard alot of bad things) regency stoves, and country stoves. I was thinking of either the regency F1100, or the country stove S160. both are their smallest burners. I really wanted a Jotul, but they do not carry them. I saw a Jotul online used about 2 hours away for 700 in excellent condition. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or tips on those companies please let me know thanks alot!

Frank

Comments (5)

• fandlil
    15 years ago

We have a Jotul direct vent gas fireplace insert which we had installed last year. We're very pleased with it. Jotul has a good reputation for quality products, which they make in Norway and assemble in Maine.

My only word of caution is that their 800 customer service # is not very helpful. When you call you get a lengthy recording that says this service is for fireplace/stove installers, and if you're a retail customer you should talk to your contractor. That was a disappointment. If you decide to buy the Jotul stove you're thinking about, make sure you have a source of help other than Jotul customer service if you run into problems in the installation.

• moose_2008
    15 years ago

While I cannot give you any technical information regarding the stoves or the companies, I can tell you that we are finally starting to fire up a new Regency(mid sized model)in the basement of our new construction and are delighted with it.

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

We have a 1,200 sq ft home in Vermont. We have the Regency F1100 and it does a nice job of heating as we use it for primary heat. It sometimes can get to minus 30 in the winter and the stove works just fine. We have it in the living room in a corner. With the heat shields we can get to within 6 inches of the wall.
    We go through about 3 cords of wood with it.

I like it in the living room so I can watch the fire in the winter. Many times that flame is more entertaining than what's on TV!

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

Another word.
    If you're considering a stove, unless you're experienced, HAVE IT PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED! You want a source of service and that's the guy you bought it from, not the manufacturer as found above.
    Also, the homeowner's insurance will look more favorabily on a professional installation. I can't tell you how many fires have started because of a DIY installation.

• frank1890
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info gang. I actually found a Jotul dealer, and will have it professionally installed for those same reasons mentioned above. I also want to look into having the heat shields placed on the wall to bring it closer. thanksagain! keep burnin!