Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosleep_gw

Need confirmation - Do I need more than the temper glass?

nosleep
12 years ago

My fireplace glass front is missing. The last owner of the house told me that I just need to replace with a piece of tempered glass. The big fire place frame is metal with 4 metal taps in the back that looks like a picture frame. There is one big piece of glass (26" x 36" about 1/4" thick I am guessing) suppose to go in the frame as a fireplace enclosure front and it appears that you fold the 4 small metal taps on the side to hold the glass in place.

When I took the frame to the glass place, the people there told me that there could be something that is between the glass and the metal so it won't rattle. They also worry about thermal expansion of the glass if I just put the exact piece in there. I have a very difficult time asking people and searching the internet to verify if there is something typically between the glass and the metal frame.

Can someone in the forum help me with this? Will it work with just putting the exact piece of glass like the glass in a picture frame and clamp down the 4 metal taps in the back of it? How can I clamp it down without breaking the temper glass? Is there a type of material that can handle the heat and make the glass stay better in place? Thanks.

Comments (3)