Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harman insert or P68??

Posted by davidon (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 07 at 19:44

I'm interested in getting an insert or pellet stove but after reading a few emails by people who have the pellet stoves...is it true that the savings is negligable with the cost of pellets as high as they are? If this is true I will scrap the idea.

If it's worth getting should I get an insert for around 3200 (which is more desirable) or a p68 for a steal (900 NEW) ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harman insert or P68??

Here's the way I see it. Let's assume you can get a cord of wood for $150.00 and your wood stove/insert is 75% efficient. This will give you about 1,000 BTUs per $1.

So if your pellet stove is 85% efficient, you would have to pay $136.00 to equal the wood's 1,000 BTU per $1. I can get wood for $150.00 but I have not seen pellets anywhere near $135.00.

o
RE: Harman insert or P68??

A new P68 for 900 bucks is pretty awesome deal. I'm looking at getting a P61. I went down the woodstove path, but decided on a pellet stove based on work load of procuring and then stacking/seasoning wood as well as if I sell the house I can unplug and move the stove with me fairly easily. If I thought I'd be in this house a while and had a ready source of free wood I'd go woodstove (wood stove heat is awesome as well as the best ambiance). Wood here is 255 for a full cord (delivered), a ton of pellets is 211. If I pre buy in the spring I can get pellets about 170. Kind of runs par with nat. gas but if you pre-buy low you're locked in at a good price, where nat. gas fluctuates pretty well dependent on hurricanes in the gulf and etc.
I got a couple prices on Harman stoves, the most expensive one for a p68 was 3108.00, so in my opinion 900 bucks is kind of sweet.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here