Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this chimney need repair?

Posted by glostadave (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 19:33

This chimney is not being used. It's one of two in our three-story Queen Anne (~1885). But when I was in the upper attic I noticed several decaying bricks and the cement(?) wrapping the chimney has mostly fallen off.

Thing is, I don't know if it's been this way for decades or is recent damage. I want to be safe, but not anxious to spend a lot on a system we don't use. We're in Massachusetts, so not much earthquake risk. Any thoughts? (Click the photo for more photos and closeups.)

Chimney

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this chimney need repair?

the chimney is ok as-is. However, you DO need to stop the reason for the spalling and flaking brick or it will get to the point where the top of the chimney from the attic floor up needs to be rebuilt. The reason the brick is spalling etc. is because of excessive amounts of moisture - either leaking between the chimney and the flashing or through poor mortar joints and the brick itself above the roofline. have someone take a look at the flashing and replace/repair and see if the chimney needs to be re-pointed as well. it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the stack above the roofline and coat the chimney with a good BREATHABLE sealer. In your area AH harris carries a good product for your chimney: http://www.ahharris.com/Data Sheets/HARRIS Kurseal 309 Emulsion.pdf MOST IMPORTANTLY check to see if the flashing needs to be repaired, then be sure the chimney above the roofline is in good shape or is repointed before applying a sealer.

o

Good advice from berlin about flashing and water issues. I would, however, have someone check the interior of the chimney. Chimneys of this vintage often were built with no lining at all. If yours was lined with tile, it's a good idea to see what shape it's in.

If the chimney is connected to a fireplace or other wood burning appliance, a liner is really a necessity. If it's connected to only a furnace or boiler, a good liner is also needed in light of the deteriorating mortar.

A stainless steel liner can be installed. Even better for old chimneys,IMO, is a poured in place liner. This will fill in any cracks and strengthen the entire chimney from bottom to top. Supaflu is one brand of poured in place liner. www.supaflu.com

o

Thanks so much berlin. Thank you mainegrower. Your knowledge and advice is much appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here