Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegansally

Marquis Solara (by Kingsman) versus Valor Legend G3 insert firepl

vegansally
14 years ago

Hi! I am currently shopping for a gas fireplace to replace wood-burning one in our family room. I have narrowed it down to Valor G3 Legend insert OR Marquis Solara by Kingsman. Any thoughts anyone? I am having such a hard time making this decision. The Clean View model of the Solara is really pretty, but I like the idea of the radiant heat and ceramic glass which the Valor offers. I used to have a Valor at a previous house and really loved it. The Solara is just so pretty though...It is only 19000 BTUs, whereas the Legend is 26000 BTUs. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Comments (19)

• vegansally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Gary. Is your Valor the Legend G3 insert?

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I will search around for the manual and let ya know. Whatever you decide I would get the fan kit.
    At first I didn't and the heat went straight up and hit a small ledge over the fireplace--later I built an onyx surround which got rid of the ledge, but before I did that, I added the fan kit, and it really improve the heat disappation of the fireplace---the ledge stayed cool after that.

Gary

• vegansally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is interesting, Gary, because they market very strongly that fans aren't required for Valors!! Very interesting indeed... Thanks for the info.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

ok our Valor fireplace is the 534xan.
    That is the "Horizon Series"
    We have the remote which works great.
    Before we added the fan, the heat would leave the
    front of the fireplace and go straight up and catch
    on that ledge I mentioned, even getting it so hot
    that it was uncomfortable to touch.
    With the fan, which is continuoulsy adjustable, the
    hot air comes away from the fireplace then rises.
    go here to see the fireplace:
    http://www.valorfireplaces.com/products/horizonseries.php

One thing interesting about the remote is it works with Ultra sound (Like the very first TV's with remotes)--so it is non directional (You dont have to aim it at the fireplace)--just like RF remotes.
    Good Luck with your hunt!!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Valor Horizon Direct Vent gas fireplace

• vegansally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Gary. I actually ordered the fireplace early today - I decided to go with the Marquis Solara - I just couldn't resist the modern styling of it - the clean view (no louvers). And the log set is nice also - something that I am pretty fussy about. I also upgraded to the porcelain reflective panels to make the fire look bigger. I hope I made the right decision. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for all your help.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I kinda like those with the modern styling for our master bedroom, but the wife thought it was "too Modern" alto I really liked the clean lines.
    Let us know how the fireplace works for you, How it heats, etc--always nice to have "Options"

Gary

• vegansally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok Gary, I will update you later - it will be at least a couple of weeks before they actually install it - it is pretty cold here already (in Ontario, Canada) so the fireplace stores are really, really busy right now trying to keep up with their installations. I think this particular store is extra busy because of the fact that they are selling this new line of Marquis clear-view fireplaces which everyone seems to want!

• vegansally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I regret not getting the Valor. The Solara is fine, and looks quite pretty, but I don't think it gives off quite enough heat for our Canadian winters. I was trying to save a bit of money but wish I had splurged on the Valor. (Gary, I didn't end up getting the Clear View unit, I ended up getting one with louvers.)

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Well, I hope you are able to stay warm. As ya know in S Calif, it doesnt get very cold here, but that Valor sure can kick out the heat, We usually keep the fire very low in it, except when we 1st turn it on. (Too bad we can't swap winter weather (LOL).
    Gary

• vegansally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

REVIEW FOR MARQUIS BY KINGSMAN, MODEL "SOLARA 36"

I had this fireplace professionally installed three days ago and really wish I hadn't. It is quite pretty - the log-set is one of the best I have seen.

However, the heat output is really disappointing, at only 21,000 BTUs. It does not heat up my small family room sufficiently.

I would not recommend this if you are looking for a heating source. If you are just looking for ambiance, then this fireplace might be OK for you.

Looks good, but disappointing heat output. It also makes a loud Âbang noise every once in a while which makes everyone in the room jump.

Not recommended. I wish I had bought a Valor instead. When I was purchasing this I could not find even one on-line review, which is why I am posting this so quickly. I hope to save someone else from making the same mistake I made.

• lemming
    8 years ago

are you still disappointed with your solara six years later. I am considering it precisely because my current fireplace is too hot and can't keep it on for very long. am interested to hear how it worked out for you.

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

The Valor fireplace is one of the few, where the fire can be turned down to just barely on (lit), to a raging inferno, all using the remote control.

In fact you can sit the remote control anywhere in your room, and it will control the fireplace automatically, as I said from a quiet flame to an inferno,

if you like the temp, say 70F right by your easy chair, then just put the remote there. The remote can also be programmed to turn the FP on/off at night or in the morning.

Now, to be honest, we don't do that "fancy stuff" with our remote, I just turn the fire up/down using the remote, to keep the room at what we consider comfortable.

After having the fireplace for 7 years or so now, and the only problem we've had, is the controller and the remote quit talking to each other after 4 years or so, I think it cost me around $100 to replace them and has worked fine, ever since.

Wife still says, That's probably the best thing we ever bought for the house, even after 7 years!

Gary

• redoredone
    8 years ago

Thank you for updating this post. We were looking at a Valor today, trying to decide between it and a Regency. Both are from the same dealer. We were told that parts are easier to get for a Regency.

We won't be using this direct-vent fireplace as our primary heating source, but would like to keep the open LR, dining, kitchen area at a comfortable temperature.

Our winters are not extremely cold for long periods of time - occasional drops into single digits for 3-4 nights.

I've seen some comments that the Valor is wonderful at heating, but we don't want to be run out of the rooms if we have a moderate sized flame. Is that a problem with Valor and does anyone know about the Regency brand? Thank you, thank you!

• Marcelle Marshall
    7 years ago

We are looking to buy Valor G4 or G3.5 for our family room with a big open space. Here are my questions:

- I read couple of reviews stating that this fireplace gets so hot that they have to turn it down so much that they can hardly see the flames. Is that a concern with the Valor?

- Some reviews say the fan get hardly used, while here I saw Gary mentioned that fan was needed to fix overheating one spot. Any new input?

Thanks,

Marcelle

• Abadin-B-and-B www.abadinbandb.com
    6 years ago

I came across these posts while looking for reviews about the Kingsman fireplaces because we had a brand-new Napoleon installed some 2 years ago and have had only trouble with that model (It looks good and heats well when it is running )

. The fan died already 5 times and we are so fed up that we requested the installer to take that thing out and replace it with another brand fireplace or give us our money back. So today they offered to replace it with a Kingsman insert. But reading here that the Kingsman does not deliver heat as well as others makes me uneasy now, because that was the reason why we got a gas fireplace installed in our old wood fireplace because we wanted to heat the 1400 square feet basement.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated !

Thanks

Shirley

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    5 years ago

When folks make comments about a fireplace making too much heat or too little heat seldom do they qualify their statements with the BTU ratings, the size of the space they are heating, the energuide efficiency of the unit or whether they live in Florida or Minnesota. So much of this information is useless opinion. It is incumbent on the buyer to get the correct information before making a decision, and seek out people who know what they are talking about, and it isn't always the salesperson at the hearth shop.

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    5 years ago

When folks make comments about a fireplace making too much heat or too little heat seldom do they qualify their statements with the BTU ratings, the size of the space they are heating, the energuide efficiency of the unit or whether they live in Florida or Minnesota. So much of this information is useless opinion. It is incumbent on the buyer to get the correct information before making a decision, and seek out people who know what they are talking about, and it isn't always the salesperson at the hearth shop.

• Willy Henschel
    last year

Trying to decide on the fan for the valor g3.5 , lots say it's not needed and noisy. Any feedback would be great.

Thx in advance.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz