Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Increasing fireplace efficiency?

Posted by carajon (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 18:43

We have two fireplaces in our new (3 year old) house. The fireplaces are an odd size - 32" wide by 37" tall and approximately 18" deep.We are considering getting a woodstove and installing it in one of the fireplaces so we can really heat the house with it, but I like the look of the fireplace, so am somewhat hesitant. We've looked at inserts but because of the odd size of our fireplace, there aren't any standard inserts that will fit. I've been wondering if we had a glass door installed (currently the fireplaces are open) perhaps that would increase efficiency? Also, I noticed that a company called Stoll makes blowers that can be used in conjunction with their doors... I guess my questions are:
Would a woodstove be our best option for efficiency?
Are there other alternatives? (Perhaps someone makes custom fireplace inserts?)
And finally, any idea why our fireplace would have been built with such odd proportions?

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Increasing fireplace efficiency?

Pacific Energy makes fireplace inserts which claim to fit any size fireplace. They also have very good reviews for being able to really put out the heat. They come with glass doors.. check out their website. There are also many other manufacturers which sell these too. With the government income tax credit rebates, you can get 30 percent off on many of these up to $1500 through 2010.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here