Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace screens - Has anyone noticed?

Posted by sanborn5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 18:25

As I thumb thru magazines and catalogs I am noticing more and more that the fireplace screens do not cover the opening of the fireplace. Anyone know why?
I think it looks funny to see the screen on the hearth, and maybe an inch or two beyond the opening on the sides, and the top of the screen about 3' - 5" below the top opening.
It just looks to me like someone measured wrong. But as I said it seems common. The pottery barn catalog, crate & barrel and some decorating magazines. Has anyone done this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace screens - Has anyone noticed?

Haven't noticed this because I haven't been looking, but I definitely wouldn't want a screen that didn't reach the top of the opening. Aren't the openings and the screens standard sizes? I believe the screen should fit within a couple of inches all around.

We bought one last year that's about an inch over on the sides and 4-5 inches over on the top. It looks good.

o
RE: Fireplace screens - Has anyone noticed?

Several years ago I was looking for a freestanding screen for my fireplace, and I remember having a hard time finding one the right size. I think in my case they were too tall, I guess there is a lot of variation in firebox heights, so for companies that aren't specializing in hearth products, they probably just don't care if it is not "right".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here