Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

Fireplace screens - Has anyone noticed?

sanborn5
16 years ago

As I thumb thru magazines and catalogs I am noticing more and more that the fireplace screens do not cover the opening of the fireplace. Anyone know why?

I think it looks funny to see the screen on the hearth, and maybe an inch or two beyond the opening on the sides, and the top of the screen about 3' - 5" below the top opening.

It just looks to me like someone measured wrong. But as I said it seems common. The pottery barn catalog, crate & barrel and some decorating magazines. Has anyone done this?

Comments (2)

• barbaranh
    16 years ago

Haven't noticed this because I haven't been looking, but I definitely wouldn't want a screen that didn't reach the top of the opening. Aren't the openings and the screens standard sizes? I believe the screen should fit within a couple of inches all around.

We bought one last year that's about an inch over on the sides and 4-5 inches over on the top. It looks good.

• mildredpots
    16 years ago

Several years ago I was looking for a freestanding screen for my fireplace, and I remember having a hard time finding one the right size. I think in my case they were too tall, I guess there is a lot of variation in firebox heights, so for companies that aren't specializing in hearth products, they probably just don't care if it is not "right".

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living