Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace insulation

Posted by rtb_crap (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 18:05

I have a stone veneer fireplace. Above the lintel, but below the damper, the rear of the stone - about 10" wide - is exposed to the inside of the firebox. This is only visible if I stick my head up inside the fireplace.
It is higher than the flames reach, but still gets very hot and I've notice some hairline cracks in the mortar. I want to insulate the back of stones, but am unsure how. Here are my current options:

1. Glue ceramic fiber insulation to the stone veneer.
2. #1, plus cover it with aluminum flashing which I'd screw into the damper.
3. Several coats of HS 10 Heatstop refractory mortar.

Any thoughts on which option is best or a better suggestion would be greatly appreciated. It's getting cold in MA and I need my fireplace!

Thank you in advance.

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace insulation

1. The glue you use should be a high-temp refractory cement. The ceramic insulation sounds capable of the high temps (no glass fiber insulation).

2. Aluminum flashing may not be durable enough. You might want to go to a local sheet metal shop and have a thicker piece of black iron sheet cut and formed to your dimensions. If you can extend this to the edges of the firebox and stand it off the insulation to allow cooler air to flow convectively behind it while the face of it acts as a radiation shield for the insulation, so much the better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here