Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas fireplace insert too small

Posted by louisianahotsauce (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 16:57

Hello: We recently had a vented gas fireplace insert installed in our wood burning fireplace. The problem is that the unit is too small and there is about a 3/4 inch gap at the top between the unit and the brick. The gap isn't as long as the insert, it's kind of centered right at the top.
The installer tried an extension kit, which won't work because the gap is not the length of the entire unit.
Has anyone had this problem, or can anyone offer suggestions?
I think it needs to be returned and the right size installed. For some reason the store we bought it from is insistent on fixing this problem instead of replacing it.
I can't come up with a solution short of refacing the entire fireplace and decreasing the opening size.
This is frustrating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas fireplace insert too small

Can you provide a picture? That would really help trying to figure out what would really help. It's possible the opening isn't really square. Can the installer shim the insert up enough to close the gap without interference from the areas without a gap?

o

Photos are linked below.
The pictures make it look better than it does in person.

Thanks for any suggestions

Here is a link that might be useful: Firplace gap

o

I would suggest shimming the unit from the bottom to close the gap. The transition from the bottom of the unit to the hearth would be much more forgiving if a piece of trim were added and I think it would be un-noticeable.

o

Thanks for your suggestion. The dealer switched out the small unit for a larger one, which was the best solution there was.

Thank goodness, now we can enjoy the fireplace. It is wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here