Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick_m_2008

Gas Fireplace Problem

rick_m_2008
15 years ago

I have a strange problem with my fireplace. I turn it on and it lights up with no problem. After a while the flame just goes out. The pilot is still on, but the flame goes out on its own. I turn the switch of and back on and the fireplace lights up. It doesn't happen at regular times its very random. Sometimes it will even relight itself. Does anyone know what would cause this to happen and how to fix it? Thanks

Comments (13)

• ventupete
    15 years ago

Sounds like a gas pressure problem. The fact that it lights with no problem (and I assume with a robust flame) and then sporadically goes out sounds like your are experiencing intemittent gas pressure drops. The relighting seems to confirm that. If your pressure were just low all the time you wouldn't see that. Do you have other gas using devices (oven, water heater, furnace, pool heater, etc.)? If either the gas line is too small (possible if more than one device is on the same line) or your gas meter is too small or not working properly and another gas using device or devices turn on (like a water heater) the pressure could drop enough to starve the flame. Next time the flame goes out see if you can tell if something else went on. The pressure in residential gas lines is not really that high and it doesn't take much to affect it if things aren't sized properly. If its the gas meter, your utility company should come out and replace it at their cost. In fact if you call them they are usually willing to take a look at it and let you know if it's not adequate.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

I agree with the previous poster. I would call the gas company. They can check the pressure and gauge your needs against the total number of gas appliances and their comsumption requirements. If your pressure is marginal, that would explain the intermittent nature of your problem.

If this guess is correct, you will need an upgraded gas meter, and the gas company should install that at no cost to you -- after all, it's to their benefit that you're using all that gas. When they put in the upgraded meter, sometimes the pressure is then too high. In that case they need to install devices in the gas lines that reduce the pressure.

• rick_m_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for both replies!
    The meter is less than a year old. We had to move it away from a window where we made an office. Only 10 feet though.
    I haven't noticed it going off when the furnace comes on but I will recheck it. What I haven't looked at is when the fireplace, furnace and the water heater are on at the same time. I will check the next time it happens. Other than that I will have to call the gas company about the pressure. Thanks again.

• sharks_puck
    15 years ago

Yes it could be solved by the earlier mentioned fixes. I could be something as simple as the switch and wire. A pilot runs on millivolts and the slightest bit of resistance will cause the burner to drop out while the pilot stays lit. If you have a manual switch on the unit to turn fire, try using this v. the wall switch. If it works you may have a bad switch or too much wire (>25'). Happy Burning

• tgentle2
    15 years ago

I own a Lennox fireplace. The pilot light will not stay on when the temperature drops below zero here in Minnesota. What could cause this problem?

• kidsrspecial_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

My fireplace has an electrict switch, but the flame will continue burning for at least 15 to 20 minutes after I turn it the swicht off.

• rybakgirl_aol_com
    13 years ago

we have a ventless gas fireplace and our house is covered in black soot. It is in every room, ceiling, walls, closets, in the fridge, on tupperware in cupboards, it is crazy. We don't know what to do or if the fireplace is even the problem, any suggestions.

• trishodonoghue_live_ie
    12 years ago

I have a strange situation. When I light my gas fire everything is fine for about 5 minutes then a smell comes into the room from the fire. It's not the smell of gas. I have washed the ceramic coals and logs but hasn't made any difference. Has anyone else had a problem like this. Would love to hear from you

• marvin123
    12 years ago

I have PROCOM lp.fire log stove poilt lite ok but when i turn on burner everthing go out used last year only have 1/2 gas line large tank only log stove hook to tank

• PRO
    dcoymom
    8 years ago

My problem is very different. My Lennox elite fireplace comes on without being switched on. It virtually comes on by itself! Any ideas?

• homepro01
    8 years ago

dcoymom,

Does your fireplace have a remote?

• stacy_ashton4
    7 years ago

I have the same issue as Rick it's the strangest thing. It's a brand new fireplace with propane heat I have had the propane company here and the fireplace installers here 4 times. It's pretty frustrating -- I'm not sure if it's a safety issue or what? My lines were checked and everything is fine there. We also had them aerate it and open the valve completely. I'm puzzled and so is the fireplace company..... any suggestions