Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Blown Out Fireplace

Posted by blynn123 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 16:26

Hi,

Last winter (I know - it's been awhile) our glass fireplace doors exploded into the family room. Luckily no one was hurt, but now I need to replace the unit. I am a fireplace replacement newbie (aka, I know nothing about requirements or terms), so I hope you'll bear with me.

The fireplace itself is ugly - from the late 80s, contemporary and really beat up. It is a corner, zero clearance fireplace.

I was hoping to upgrade to a propane fueled fireplace - but I have no idea even what to look for...or if I can do that. Do I need a gas fireplace insert, or a gas fireplace or do I need to get a wood fireplace?

Anyone that has any information to help me get started would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Blown Out Fireplace

Where is fireplace? Basement? Ground floor? Does fireplace have exterior masonary surround? Do you have natural gas at house? Or use lp tank?

o

Fireplace is ins family room. Corner, ground floor. It is zero clearance so no outside masonry. We have a chimney, no natural gas. We could install propane, but otherwise just wood. We have oil heat. We are in Massachusetts.

Thx!

o

Sounds like mine exactly. Corner unit. Has doors on 2 sides. We lasted used it 14yrs ago. Since it occupys corner that end of room is off limits. We had 2nd zero clearance unit in lower level. Tore it out completely and replaced it with new gas fireplace. Which we use a lot. Heats lower level great. Do u want wood fire? Or just heat from fireplace? Putting in a new propane unit is clean but pricey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here