Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help make a fireplace functional.

Posted by ontheteam (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 16:10

We have a 1960's built home with a fireplace. Its brick with a brick chimney. I can make smokey fires in it to make smores if the power is out but not much more.
What do you do to make it put OUT some heat in a case like this?
I'd like to be able to supplement the oil heat he use with it and have it heat 2 or 3 adjoining rooms if the power is out .
I live in SE MA. My neighbors on the west side of the state are dealing with 2 feet of snow and no power till Friday. I want to be ready if that is ME the is winter!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help make a fireplace functional.

A fireplace is extremely inefficient - most of the heat goes straight up the chimney. The first thing to do is have your chimney inspected for safety and cleaned if it needs it. The smokey fires suggest wood that is too green to burn well or a chimney seriously plugged with creosote or a combination of the two.

The truth is that a fireplace is not going to heat two or three adjoining rooms even with a good draft and dry wood. A fireplace insert or better yet a free standing wood stove vented to the chimney may, but an awful lot depends on the layout of the rooms and the amount of insulation in the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here