Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irish peat pellets for woodburning FP?

Posted by lithigin (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 15:54

Hello,

Our new 1920 house has a tiny entrance to its fireplace (perhaps was for coal?), and I'd like a solution so I can burn something for coziness and some warmth in our family room. A single log would barely fit in there (interior is 12x18'), and the ash drop is equally tiny. I have a photo but don't know how to append it.

In Ireland, I recall the hostels burned chunks of peat sod that emitted heat and a wonderful smoky aroma but little flame. They were maybe the size of a fist, not tiny pellets. All of my local FP stores only sell wood pellets and have never heard of this. Am I crazy to think that I can burn this stuff in a regular FP? I found a source below that hasn't returned my calls yet.

Thanks for any input!
Lindsay

Here is a link that might be useful: Inishowen Black Peat Turf Clods/Sods

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irish peat pellets for woodburning FP?

Buy some Bituminous coal, that is what you're fireplace was made for, won't smell the same as peat, but if you've spent any time in northern ireland, scotland, england or much of europe from germany eastward, you'll know what it smells like. (of course hopefully you won't be smelling much of anything inside your home, otherwise you have draft/chimney issues). google "bituminous coal sources" to find one near you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here