Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing fake logs with glass crystals

Posted by sshaw66 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 15:26

I've got a majestic fireplace (direct vent, natural gas, indoor) and I want to replace the bits of lava rock and fake ceramic logs with either glass crystals or glass beads. I've not found much information online about this, other than companies that want to sell both the glass and a new burner to replace the old one. I wonder if replacing the burner is necessary, or can I put the glass around the existing burner/pilot light? Anyone ever done this type of "conversion"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing fake logs with glass crystals

I don't know, but I have read at places that sell the glass, that you need the correct burner. That doesn't mean they just want to sell a burner, it might be required to be safe. Woodland direct, for instance says their glass should be used "only when using vent-free approved burner system". Call them (by "them" I mean anyone that sells the glass) and ask if you can use it with the burner that you have, that you are not interested in replacing the burner. Since I am sure they would rather sell just the glass than nothing at all, if they don't recommend using it unless you replace the burner, then you probably have your answer. You could also visit a local fireplace dealer and ask.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here