Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldpaddy

Is anyone familiar with the Mohawk Tempcoal II coal/wood stove?

oldpaddy
18 years ago

I just bought one used and I can't find any info on it. The people I bought it from never used it, so they had no clue on how to operate it.

I've had a pea coal stove all my life, but the one I just bought takes (I think/hope) nut coal, and it doesn't seem to have a hopper.

Does anyone know how to run this stove?

Comments (6)

• help1
    18 years ago

I have one - what do you need to know ?

• mrlucky19ny
    18 years ago

Ive been using mine for a couple of winters, It was my dad's. He lived in Connecticut. The stove works great. There is no hopper, and yes it uses chestnut coal. Just dump about 20lbs in it 2 times a day (after the shaking and hot burning)and open the windows to let the heat out LOL.. I developed a simple method for start up, if you are having difficulty.I believe the stove was manufactured in Massachsetts.

If anyone has information about replacement parts please let me know. I need a couple of grate rods.

Tony

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

The only place that I know of that carries older stove parts is stoveparts unlimited.

I don't know if non-professionals can order directly from them.

• oldpaddy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Awesome! I've had a hard time finding anyone who knows this stove.
    I just started it for the first time today. What's the correct way to use the dampers? I've never seen a stove that had two dampers on top of each other like that. Why does the bottom one only open half way?
    Also it came with a neat little thermometer that attaches to the stove with a magnet. Where should I place it, and does it really serve a purpose?
    Thanks for any help!

• oldpaddy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Holy moley!!!
    This stove is better than I thought it would be. It was 20f outside the other night, and I was being cooked out of my large house. Yesterday we got hit with a winter storm that knocked out power for about 12hrs. I just lit some candles, threw a can of soup in a pot and placed it on top of the stove. Nice!
    I'm surprised that with a stove that seems as good as this one, that not many people have heard of it.

• mrlucky19ny
    18 years ago

Hi

regarding the dampers:
    the top one allows air into the firebox( use that one if you are starting the stove up with wood in the firebox).
    The lower one lets air in below the grate, thats the one used to regulate the operating temp of the stove.
    RE: the thermometer placement : I put mine on the top of the stove I try to keep the operating range above 300F(300-400). When shaking and adding coal I am sure to get it above 400 (leave lower door ajar), before I close the door and allow it to get back to normal op temp.
    One caution... be sure to monitor the temp when adding coal..I usually set a timer for 6 minutes or so, so that I don't forget about it and find it cranked way up.. old age you know! Enjoy the comfort and savings.... Oh yes get a Carbon Monoxide detector as well...

Tony