Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenfenn

pellet stove and tv and pellet prices

luckyj
14 years ago

I'm new to this forum as we're throwing around the idea of a pellet stove. But, I know, I know...I should have been doing this last March when prices may have been a little better. Well, maybe it will take me that long to do the research.

Anyway, we currently have forced air natural gas in our 27000sq' 1964 house. If we are to heat by stove, comparing all the options (wood, gas insert, pellet insert, etc.) a pellet stove makes the most sense for us based on several existing conditions, etc.

Next, we would have to use a stove insert into our existing brick fireplace. Currently, our (patiently waited for) flatscreen is mounted above the fireplace directly on to the brick. It hasn't been a problem because we light up the fireplace only once or so a year. My research has told me that the noise from the fans on the pellet stove would be loud and so a tv nearby isn't a good idea. But what if it is above the stove insert, what about the heat affecting the tv? Or dust that might cling to the screen, thanks to static electricity? Or, do I just start looking for a new place in the room for the tv? Anyone else with a flatscreen above their stove?

Next, concerning the price and supply of pellets. Most of the threads that I've found on pellet stoves are from 2005, when the price of oil first started going up sharply. So I don't know what a current price point should be.

I'm not sold on the pellet stove yet, but partly its that I'm worried about being dependent on a product that is still directly tied to the price of oil and that would have a limited supply with potentially increasing demand. I'm in Delaware, near southern Chester County, PA and I know one person in the area getting pellets for about $250/ton. Is this the reasonable rate these days?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia