Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seasoning wood and Pine

Posted by newguy_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 13:44

I have been told that you can burn Pine as long as you age it properly. 1)What is the BEST age for pine wood? 2)Specifically PINE wood cut/split/stacked in the summer of 2009 can be used .... ? 3)Do you get any added benifit from seasoning wood an extra year. Specifically seasoning ALL the wood I have cut/split/stacked this summer and start using it in December 2011?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seasoning wood and Pine

Pine is fine to burn but do keep in mind that it has to be extremely seasoned hence dry! It could take several years to acquire the perfect condition depending on how it's cut, stacked and in direct sunlight. You will not be able to burn it this year because it will burst like hell and produce too much creosote. The pine I have believe it or not took nearly three years to season. Enjoy.

o

I don't burn much pine but I do use it during the start of our heating season. We'll usually cut and split it in the early summer, let it sit and burn it about now as I am currently doing. I start the stove in the morning with pine and let it go out as the weather warms during the day. But we split it into 1/4 rounds, stack it LOOSELY which lets air get to all the wood, and burn it. Creosote can be a problem with pine especially if you have a "cold" fire which produces smoke. But I burn a hot, quick fire. At night the maple, oak, and birch get burned.

o

In general, pine and other soft woods require around 6 months to season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storage Shed Plans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here