Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural Gas Fireplace...how to get even flame?

Posted by turbolover (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 07 at 13:19

Guys I have natural gas Fireplace. There is a snad in the bottom of a pan and couple of logs with a bunch of "dust bunnies" I call that glow. Problem with my fireplace is that fire is not spead out evenly across. Fire concentrates close to igniter and only small flames are on the other side. I tried empting the sand and putting it back and that seem to fix it for a while but then it does the same thing. How does this thing work? I don't really see anything that can be cleaned there. What does the sand do? Does it have to be changed, compacted or turned over? Does it even have anything to do with the flame? What can be done about this?

Thanks a lot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural Gas Fireplace...how to get even flame?

i really don't know much about these things, but generally a gas burner has a series of holes. Gas is supposed to come out of each hole and thus you have a flame at each hole. I would think you should look at the burner to see if some of the holes are clogged. Maybe poke each hole with something pointed and tiny. You would not want to enlargen any hole, but just make sure it is clean.

o

That's what I thought but when I removed the sand from the tray I didn't see any holes. Maybe the sand acts like a conductor and spread out the flame?!?! I have no idea how it works. Anybody alse?

o

It sounds like you have a gas log set installed in a conventional wood fireplace.

If so, the gas burner is usually a pipe that has holes drilled in the bottom of the pipe. The sand covers the burner pipe, and the gas infiltrates out the bottom of the burner, through the sand and should burn on the surface of the sand, also causing the ember material to glow.

The usual causes of a burner burning unevenly is a burner that is plugged up with debris or one where the steel pipe has been burned and damaged ---this is something usually fairly easy to see.

Since you didn't comment on any damage, I'd remove the burner from the fireplace, uncap both ends of the burner and clean it out with a brush.

o

Ok, I think we are getting somewhere. I did see a pipe at the bottom of the sand box but didn't see any holes because you say they are at the bottom of the pipe. Now, is removing that pipe something that anybody can do or do I have to call up pros? Are there any gaskets or seals that I need to worry about?

Thanks

o

NO, just cut the gas off at the unit, remove the sand, and look to see how the tube is attached. Some of them are welded in place some are not, but you can figure out a way to clean it. Just remember, your messing with gas, be very cautious, make sure the gas is off all the time, and check carefully for leaks if you disconnect anything. A small stiff wire bent to fit does a great job to poke the holes, and then blow out the pipe with air.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here