Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Stove efficiency rating

Posted by razl (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 13:15

I was reading an article from the Jotul site that mentioned "old" stoves with an efficiency rating of 70%-75% with a reduced air supply (as believed the case in most homes) would drop down to 35%-40%. The article went on to say newer stoves achieve up 80%, but only drop to 70%-75% under the same reduced air supply conditions.

What causes this reduced air supply? 1. The air-tightness of new home construction or 2. The closing of the fresh air intake on the stove itself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Stove efficiency rating

Could you link the article in? I'd like to read it as well, maybe then be better able to comment.

o

I have a child with allergies and need to get the most "smoke free" stove I can. Does the ratings determine how much output of smoke a stove will have or does it one determine what goes up the chimney?

o

A large fire requires alot of air, so, think about what you're doing... you're sucking air out of the interior of your house, blowing it across a fire, and exhausting it up the chimney (meanwhile heating up some metal). That air you're sucking out of the interior of your house has to come from somewhere, so it leaks through the cracks here and there, but the bottom line is that it comes from the outside. Now, if the 'cracks' in your house are well sealed, it's harder for the stove to get that fresh air, so the fire naturally burns different. A stove that has a fresh air tube is the best bet.

o

See link below. Then go to the PDF.
Erik99, I understand the physics behind it, but respectfully, that was not my question. I'm asking whether Jotul is referring to the cause of "restriction" to 1)air infiltration thru the cracks in the house or 2)air intake on the stove itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Burning

o

I believe they are referring to a lack of combustion air inside the house - not closing the air intake on the stove.

The reason I think this is that some stove manufacturers offer an option for hook-up to an outside air duct; also some municipalities/building codes require this for installation.

If you want to do additional reading on the subject, go to woodheat.org and hearth.com. You'll find "to duct or not to duct" is pretty controversial.

I think the bottom line is that local building codes always prevail.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here