Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood stove in basement?

Posted by joy_unspeakable (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 13:08

I am so glad I found this site. I have researched the internet for months!

My husband and I were considering putting a wood stove in the basement to cut down on propane costs. Our basement is open and unfinished. There is no insulation between the basement and main floor. Our home is approx 1200 square feet. Our initial thoughts were, that with no insulation we should get some decent radiant heat through the floor. Do any of you have experience with this? (If money were not an issue I'd run it into our existing furnace, but that does not seem to be an option right now). I read recently that some do not recommend heating from an unfinished basement as a wood stove should be considered a space heater. Looking for opinions and experience from you guys.

Another option we have is to use the insert we have upstairs. Its a CRAFT STOVE that my grandparents used as sole heat for 30 years. But I am sure that the flue is unlined and wonder if the cost and hassle to line it would be too much.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood stove in basement?

As far as the cost goes, you might be better off buying a new insert. You need a chimney for the basement stove, and you need a liner for the insert.

I would definitely go with a new insert. The cost would be about the same as putting a stove in the basement. And today's EPA rated inserts will surely be much more efficient than the old one. And they look much nicer too.

Enjoy the fire, don't hide it!

o
RE: Wood stove in basement?

I'll second replacing your insert. Any stove that old will eat wood and make a lot of creosote. But if you have the space, you might do better to hearth mount a freestanding wood stove rather than put in another insert. You will generally get more heat and won't be so dependent on the blower on the insert. They are also usually a bit cheaper.

You will probably need to re-line but if you or your husband are reasonably handy this is not a hard thing to do and will save a lot of money over what most stove shops or chimney sweeps would charge. We put a small freestanding stove in our living room fireplace and love it. I did an insulated re-line with my stepfather and it was pretty easy, total cost of about $400. You could also possibly put a larger stove in your basement with your moderate house size but it would depend on your layout as to how effective that might be and would also likely need a re-line. That re-line would likely be a bit more than the upstairs re-line only because the length of the liner would be greater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here