Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forda1

Pellet stove Insert....HELP!!!

forda1
17 years ago

I have been trying to decide whether to convert my existing pre-fab fireplace (which I don't use) to a pellet insert. I think I will be able to get the pellets this year but I'm totally confused as to which brand and which model to buy. Especially which one will fit my opening. The local dealer always wants me to come in and talk but he doesn't really give me all the answers.

I have a Majestic BR42I insert. The actual fireplace box opening is only about 20 inches high, 42 across and has a 5 inch panel on the top and bottom of the opening (I'm guessing I'd have to buy a support for the insert to rest on since most of the inserts seems to install and rest on the bottom of the hearth?). The fireplace Box is also about 16 inches deep and is about 25 inches wide at the rear.

So I'm looking at the Accentra. Dealer quoted me about 4700 installed with 2-story liner. They also carry Lopi/Avalon, St. Croix, Enviro and Country Stoves. I definitely want a dependable unit that I don't have to clean/service very often. It seems the down-feed Accentra fits the bill but the inset height (about 23.19 inches?) seems like it's to hight for the Majestic 20" high opening. It does say that it can be custom ordered in 20" and 22" high reduced hopper height but I'm not sure if the rear part of the insert (23.19") is the part that will be reduced to 20".

The Lopi Pioneer Bay looks like it will fit in my box but I've read that they're not as dependable and require often cleaning. Plus heat output is much lower.

The Country PI40 insert looks nice but I'm not sure if that will fit in my box opening. I haven't heard anything about Enviro.

Any advice as to to which brand/model I should concentrate on and more importantly, which one will fit??

Comments (11)

• tedalan
    17 years ago

I recently (about 3 weeks ago) had a Harman Accentra installed and couldn't be happier with a pellet insert. After cutting wood most of my life, it's certainly a nice alternative. As for cleaning and reliability, I doubt if there is an easier stove to maintain - a little sweeping and scraping seems to do the trick. Temperature control is nothing short of amazing - like having a super thermostat in my family room. No - I don't sell them (I sound lke a salesman) - but, I did plenty of homework before buying the stove and am very satisfied. Your dealer needs to pay you a visit and determine what is possible in your situation. My dealer made 3 stops here before accepting any $$ - stove was installed with no problems (2 story home).

• forda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Tedalan.

Mind telling me about your firebox and what the total cost was for your accentra? Was the liner installed single story or two story like mine? The only dealer around me seems to be very high and I highly doubt they would come out to home before purchase

• tedalan
    17 years ago

My fireplace is 45" wide and about 32" high (not quite sure the height is accurate). The depth is also well within their guidelines. Liner extends the full 2 stories - took a little under 25'. I also use outside air for combustion - the cold air pipe extends to just above the flu. If your dealer thinks you're serious, he'd be nuts not to at least pay you a visit. Some charge $50 to cover their costs which will be deducted from a purchase. You might let him know you'd pay for the trip if it would be a credit toward a Harmon or similar. My complete installation was right around $5000 - maybe a little more. I also purchsed the log kit and the extension rails since I plan to do my own service. Also needed a surround kit due to the size of my opening. We sure love the insert - it performs exactly as advertised. Btw, a free ton of pellets was also included in the deal.

• forda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I called one of the only dealers around me and they quoted me about 4700? More than I was hoping for. I think I can get into the Country Stove PI-40 insert for around 4K. One dealer carries both and speaks highly about both the Accentra and the Winslow.

Anybody else out there have any experience with the Country PI-40 insert?

• shaun_
    17 years ago

I just had a Harman Accentra installed about a month ago. It was one of the best things I ever bought. I paid about $3200 for the stove, $260 for piping(8-10ft tubing, several elbows, clean-out tee, ceiling fixture, wall thimble, and cap), $200 for zero-clearance box, and $460 for installation.

Works great, and I use it heat up about over 2500sf of living space.

• forda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shaun;

That beats the quote I received for an ACCENTRA. What's the 200 for zero-clearance box for? Is yours in a fireplace box like mine or a stand alone? I have a Majestic fireplace insert (BR42I) but I've never heard of the zero clearance accessory/option?

Anybody out there own the Country PI-40? Love to get some feedback on that one!

• forda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shaun;

That beats the quote I received for an ACCENTRA. What's the 200 for zero-clearance box for? Is yours in a fireplace box like mine or a stand alone? I have a Majestic fireplace insert (BR42I) but I've never heard of the zero clearance accessory/option?

Anybody out there own the Country PI-40? Love to get some feedback on that one!

• shaun_
    17 years ago

The "Zero-clearance" box is what pellet insert goes into for fireplaces, that are not wood burning . Harman has their own box that fits perfectly for the Accentra. It is basically a sheetmetal box that confines the heat from the insert. If you have a existing brick fireplace you may or maynot need one. You would need to consult you fireplace installer if one is needed.

In my case it was not an option, it was a must have, according to local building code.

Check out the Harman website to see what the "zero-clearance" box looks like.

• forda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It looks like the Country Winslow Insert will fit my Majestic insert. The Harman (even custome 20") will be about 1 inch too high.

Does anybody have any experience/feedback with the Country Winslow insert and whether it will be big enough for my house?

• forda1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found another local dealer that sells Lopi, and St. Croix (the York I think). Doesn anybody know if these units are as good as the Harman..or Country for that matter?

• pew1
    17 years ago

Saw an article in This Old House magazine, current edition. Did not read it myself, but may be worth reading.

Paul