Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
direct vent to inside vent

Posted by malonefrederic (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 10, 08 at 12:34

I have a gas fireplace that is direct vent that I need to vent through a chimminy but the chimminy is too small for the double pipe I could get the gas vent in it but not the air intake could I just use the inside air insted of the double pipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: direct vent to inside vent

If I understand you correctly, you are thinking of installing the direct vent system so that the vent that exhausts the fumes will go to the outside, and the vent that feeds the combustion will take air from the indoors instead of outside. If you did that you would be defeating the purpose of a direct vent system -- that it is supposed to be a sealed system that does not affect indoor air in any way. You run the risk of depleting the indoor space of oxygen, which is one of the hazards of ventless systems and the reason they are usually outlawed in sleeping rooms by the codes in most municipalities.

In sum, I do not think this is a good idea. But I have a possible alternative suggestion. If your fireplace is on an outside wall, it might be possible to vent through the wall to the outside instead of up the chimney. Some direct vent systems are designed so that is an available option.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here