Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

installing a wood insert for supplemental heat

brandond
13 years ago

Hey everyone. We are installing a Jotul 450 Kennebec in our dining room. The room have cathedral celings that are around 15 ft in ht at the top. We have an office and a guest bedroom upstairs. This dining room is around 14x17 and has a good quality ceiling fan on a downrod. This is not our sitting or relaxing room just our dining room. My question is will there be enough heat to disperse out of the room and into the breakfast nook,kitchend and just below that is our sitting/ living room. We are looking to reduce our gas bills and use some of this great wood on our land. I figure if we can reduce our bills by 30 or 40 dollars a month in the winter it would pay for itself. I think this unit can do better than that but we will see. I want to move the good heat from the ceilings down and out. We have a normal door sized opening that leads from our dining room and into the breakfast nook,kitchen area. I have taken a fan thats on a stand placed it in the far corner of the dining room and turned it on low to medium. It does create a breeze that extens all the way through the kitchen down to the living room. Our plan it to try and heat the dining room,upstairs,kitchen breakfast nook, and living room. On the really cold days and nights we will set our central air back to 60 degrees so when the fire goes out the central heat will kick on. Does this seem plausible? If anyone has a similar unit or does have the Jotul Kennebec let me know what you think of this unit, and my expectations. Sorry if I was so thorough, but I want to explain what we want out of the unit. We have some great well seasoned oak,walnut,and hickory for burning. take care,brandon

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm