Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have no access to ash dump.

Posted by mustangm (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 11:22

Hello, My home was built around 1965 with a brick fireplace that has an ash dump door on the floor of the fireplace. I would like to start using this, however it is filled almost to the top with ash. My issue is that I do not have any cleanout access door in the basement or outside. My neighbor's home was built at the same time by the same builder and is pretty much identical. He has a an ash dump with a cleanout door in the basement. When I look at the same wall in my basement it seems like the access door may have been removed and cemented over. A few questions for the forum: Why would the door have been removed in the past? Can a new cleanout door be installed? What issues might I encounter with the installation? Should I just have the ash vacuumed out from the top every few years? The chimney has a cap and water rarely drips down. Every so often after a heavy rainfall we get the ash smell coming from the fireplace. This happens even if the fireplace is clean. Could this smell be coming from the ash dump? Thank you all for your assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have no access to ash dump.

There's no real way to tell why the cleanout door was removed - perhaps a conversion of the fireplace to gas? Anyway, installing a new cleanout door is not difficult. The only tricky part is cutting the opening. This usually entails using a diamond cutting blade to score the outline, followed by work with a chisel. It does not have to be a perfectly precise opening - mortar can patch any irregularities around the new cleanout door.

If you're going resume burning wood, it's important to have the chimney cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep. A sweep would very likely be able to install a cleanout door as well if you'd rather not do it yourself.

The creosote smell after a rain is probably due to the ashes in the chimney, but may also be an indication that there's a lot of creosote lining the chimney above the fireplace. Another good reason to have the inspection and cleaning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here