Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgrahlfs

75 year old chimney leak problems

mgrahlfs
14 years ago

I have a 75 year old cape cod home located on the south shore of long island, ny, with a brick chimney & slate roof. We have a second floor bedroom that has always leaked where the chimney is attached. The leaks appear by the ceiling at the roofline and spread as time progesses. Besides the continuous leaks, the chimney is badly spalling (large pieces of brick facing chipping off) above the roof line only - the rest of the brick on the front of the house require little maintenance.

We have attached the problem from two fronts: the roof was re-flashed and tarred several times to a point where the roofers point to the brick chimney as the problem, plus rebuilt the caps; the chimney was painted, waterproofed, and sealed several times (it has always been painted) - yet the problem persists with the brick deterioration and leaks. We have gas heat (converted from oil 15 years ago), gas hot water, and have converted our fireplace from wood-burning to gas logs. Some contractors have suggested replacing our clay chimney liners as well with steel - something we haven't done. Based on what I've read, rebuilding the chimney above the roof line appears to be one of the better options available.

Given this, I would appreciate advice on how to approach fixing this problem and the types of contractors I should call.

thank you for any help in this frustrating and damaging problem

mike

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz