Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pellet stove exhaust clearance

Posted by macgyvers2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 10:46

Had an Ecoteck pellet stove installed in the basement this past weekend... the on-screen language conversion isn't perfect (Italish, if you will), but it's pretty close.

My question centers around the exhaust and necessary clearance. After rising a few feet from the stove, the exhaust pipe exits a cinder block wall roughly two feet above grade, putting it roughly 3 feet (give or take) below the bottom of the wood frame first floor. We're on a hill, so grade drops from top of the basement to the bottom as you travel along that wall.

The pipe is double-wall design with stainless steel inner core that ends in some form of diffusor (I haven't studied it yet from any closer than 10 feet away... been too busy enjoying it). In all, it sticks a good foot and a half away from the wall, which will make mowing an annoyance in that area, as well as likely causing all kinds of headaches and/or fines from the county association (they're real sticklers).

I know for wood frame construction at least a foot away from combustibles is accepted practice, but is this long pipe necessary considering it's coming out of bare block and is several feet away from wood/siding? Did the installers simply go with the old standby? I need to have them come back out and install a fresh air intake anyway (it's pulling from the room at the moment), so if they can cut back on the piping while they're here, that would be ideal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pellet stove exhaust clearance

Never mind, I found out the reason. It seems the original installations were similar to a dryer vent (i.e., close to the wall), but the Venturi effect of winds whipping up the side of the house was causing issues with the positive pressure in the stoves (and they automatically shut off in such cases). Bumping the extension out 12-18" solved that problem, but damn does it look ugly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here