Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas fireplace won't work

Posted by jgclancy (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 10:32

I have a Superior GHC-5500NE-2 electronic ignition gas fireplace with Robertshaw SP745 ignition module.
When the wall switch is flipped the ignitor clicks and pilot valve opens lighting the pilot but main valve never opens and it all shuts down.
I do NOT see a sensor of any kind with the pilot. What tells the module to send 24v to open main valve (MV)? Is there some type of sensor in the valve?
The SP745 module is older and finding any details on it has problematic.
Thanks for any info

jgclancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas fireplace won't work

Try using a screwdriver handle to tap on the main valve after the pilot lights. My furnace would do this when I first tried lighting it after being off all summer.

o
RE: Gas fireplace won't work

I tried to post a question about the jotul fireplace insert we had installed, and find it to not work; and the dealer wanting to charge $138 for another service call. The insert was installed by the dealer in Jan 2010 and I've had two calls and it still does not work. On one call they changed the venting, which was apparently installed improperly, and on the other indicated it was the faulty remote for which they were to get me another--and have not. Does this sound reasonable? The problem is that once the pilot and burner is lit they go out in about two to four minutes. This happens over and over. Any help?S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here