Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbyrne709

gas fireplace in below grade basement

kbyrne709
14 years ago

I would like to install a gas fireplace in my basement (which is below grade). I would like to run a direct vent horizontally through the concrete install a 90 and come up in a dug out well with the vent ending above grade. Total distance below grade is 1.5 feet. Is this possible?

Comments (8)

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

decide on the brand and model fireplace you want.
    Then download the instllation instructions.
    Most give great details on what is and what isnt
    acceptable as far as venting goes

Gary

• kbyrne709
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply Gary. I have contacted the manufacturer and their response is to contact the local dealer for an assessment. I have done this but the local rep seems unwilling to show up (after I explained my dilemma). I don't know if its because they are so busy or if this install is more time consuming.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

From other posts I have seen, The fireplace ppl are very busy , right now.
    You may want to look at different manufactures, one my be hugrier than another?
    What brands are you looking into?
    I have a Valor and it's great, I have also done a lot of research on the Lopi Brand.
    Most of the web-sites for these manufactures have a "Find Dealer" hot button , that you can click to see who sells them in your particular area.
    Good Luck!!

Gary

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

Why do you need that in a basement to begin with? Basements are naturally warm to begin with in the winter. You will never see any kind of cost savings return on that set up.

• kbyrne709
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The fireplace is going into a room with no windows to add effect to the room. If I was concerned about cost saving I would have just left the electric heaters there which are 100% return. I looked at the electric fireplaces but they don't have the same appeal.

• briansgurl2
    14 years ago

Kbyrne709 we have a gas fireplace in our basement family room and we LOVE IT! It does give lot's of effect and also feels good in the fall and spring when you just need a little something to take the dampness away!

• crjcarr
    6 years ago

you might be experiencing lack of interest from install/contractors due to code issues. I have a wall that is partially below grade (my house is built into the hillside) and we've been told by contractors that a fireplace install is not possible as it's against code to install a fireplace grade. Fire box needs to be 12" above grade minimum, I'm told. This is SF Bay Area code, probably varies by area.

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    We have the same situation and were told by two different installers that it couldn’t be done. But we would have needed to vent further than you. We ended up going with an ethanol fireplace that didn’t require a vent.