Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gas fireplace shuts itself off - then restarts

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 9:17

GOt a gas fp on my main floor (Hussong Mfg "Sundance") that lights off fine and burns cleanly (blue flame).

after it's been on for anywhere from several minutes to 1/2 hour or more it'll shut itself off and then, after a little while, turn back on.

Unit doesn't appear to be overheating and it does this whether I have the blower fan on low or high.

can anyone suggest what is going on here?

thx in advance for any help. Mark in Mn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gas fireplace shuts itself off - then restarts

It may be too late for this, but here goes. I have a gas free standing stove that gets intermittant something like you're talking about. I'm suspecting the thermopile. Not the thermocouple. If that were bad the pilot would go out. If you can get to the wires coming from the thermopile where they connect to the gas valve, you should measure a voltage there of at least 500mv with the thermostat open. You may be right on the cusp and it's basically a crap shoot if the burner will turn on or not. I couldn't get the darn thing out. It's in there so tight I was afraid I'd break it so I just filed the side that faces the pilot and would you believe it hasn't acted up since!
Keep in mind that everything I said relates to a piezo ignition system.

Another obvious thing could be something as simple as cleaning your thermostat contacts.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here