Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atvram

napoleon 1401 wood insert

atvram
18 years ago

ANY ONE PURCHASE A NAPOLEON 1401 WOOD BURNING INSERT? WONDERING HOW IT PERFORMED- QUIETNESS OF THE TWIN BLOWER,ACTUAL BURN TIME, ETC. SEEMS THE PRICES ARE VERY REASONABLE FOR THE DESIGN. I WAS LOOKING AT A QUADRAFIRE BUT IT WAS $800.00 MORE NOT INCLUDEING THE BLOWER.

Comments (5)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

I haven't used this particular insert, but I did use the Napoleon 1400 freestanding stove which is basically the same thing and I loved it. It heated my whole home to a temperature that we could run around with short-sleeved shirts on and I was able to get an all-night burn and there were still hot coals in it in the morning. But it mostly has to do with how you pack the stove before going to bed.

The blower was not too loud, but you need to realize that with ANY unit that has blowers there will be noise from them. You should be able to have control of the blowers, such as "on" and "off" or "low" and "high" which will affect the noise level.

• kf2xn
    16 years ago

I bought mine Oct 2006, blowers failed 3.5 mos later in mid Jan 2007. It is Dec 2007 and I just placed a service call to report failure of the left blower and slowing down and limited output of the right blower. They tell me this time it's my nickel unless the Mfgr can adjust the bill. I really like the heat output of this unit and it looks great. My house is 1,700 sq ft and it really cooks in the winter, nice and cozy. Too bad about the blower failures, I hope this is not going to become a regular thing. BTW, I paid $3,375 for the unit, some special surround options, stainless steel liner and installation costs plus tax. Too late to wonder if I got ripped off. Will see how the vendor handles this situation. Would love to hear from others with similar problem and how it was handled. Seasons greetings to all. Walt Slazyk, Grand Island, NY

• kf2xn
    16 years ago

Hi folks, Just a follow-up blurb on the situation with the Napoleon with the failed blowers 2nd time around. Yesterday, I got so perplexed about the 2nd failure of the blowers on this expensive toy of mine that I kicked the left side that housed the failed blower. There was a nice fire going and luckily I had footwear on when I kicked it in a moment of temporary anger/insanity & frustration. Anyway, the blower came on and immediately the stream of warm air generated by the prodigal-unit coupled with the other still-functional blower got the room heated up in a New York minute or two. Anyway, my vendor returned my call today and informed me that because I am out of warranty, Napoleon won't do diddly for him or I on adjusting cost. They are now stating that one should not allow temperatures to exceed 600F and recommend placement of a thermometer on the shelf to monitor temperatures. Funny thing, it is not in the original documentation at all. How can they do this I don't know. The golden rule prevails, "He who has the gold makes the rules", I guess. Anyway, it boils down to learing how to perform your own preventive maintenance work that requires removing the covers, vacuuming out the dust & ash, checking the wiring connections and tightening up any mounting apparatus that has come loose from vibration, etc. There you have it. I hope to purchase a replacement blower to keep on hand as a spare, even though both are working. The point I am making is that my original documentation from the manufacturer discloses none of these issues or talks about temperature control to avert killing the blowers. I just am too tired to fight them at this point. Just want to be warm until May. Have a great Christmas all.
    Walt Slazyk KF2XN, Grand Island, NY

• nochat66a
    16 years ago

Greetings! Merry christmas to all! I also own a Napoleon 1401 and I love it. Its paid for itself in propane savings. I also had the right side blower die. I tried to be cheap and I just bought a replacemant from Graingers. I saved $100 bucks. It works, but its shaped a little different. So I had to do some modifications to get the cover back on. Also, the instructions say 18 inches max on that firewood. Don't try 18 1/4 inches or you will be forking over $180 for replacement glass. Cant be just tempered, cant be Pyrex, No, its gotta be the High temp stuff like on the space shuttle. Again, Merry Crhistmas and enjoy the fire.
    -Joe, Michigan

• HU-773612821
    3 years ago

I have had one since 1999 and it has been great. The blowers are a bit noisy and if I had known I would have gotten one with a squirrel cage motor which are much quieter