Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best place to purchase an insert from?

Posted by pdog (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 8:02

My wife and I are finally biting the bullet after going back and forth the past couple of years. The house we bought has a wood burning fireplace and an old (not sure model name or number) insert that we use every year. Heats the room nicely, but doesn't have a blower and the doors to load it are very small. We don't need it to heat the entire house (1800 sf), but I wouldn't mind if it did at least warm it up a little more than what we have now. We decided now was the time, take advantage of the tax credit.

Not exactly sure how to measure our fireplace since it has an insert in it already. We have seen a couple of models we like, along with the recommendations on this board. What we were wondering is what do you guys find the best way to purchase, have an installer come out, measure and inspect and then give a price, or do you generally go to a dealer to purchase and they recommend an installer? I would prefer to have someone come out so it is measured correctly. I know online sales can save a lot of money too, not sure how many installers would be willing to install a unit they did not supply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best place to purchase an insert from?

We had an old unvented gas log set when we moved into our house. It smelled terribly and didn't provide heat. I thought what I wanted was a vented set so I took our fireplace measurements to a well-regarded fireplace store near us. The sales person looked at my measurements and recommended a beautiful log set which I bought--it was the largest my fireplace opening could accommodate but not the best choice. The logs were too large and the gas line too small to provide enough BTUs. Someone from the store really should have come out to check the line and do the measurements. And the sales person COULD have mentioned that the vented sets do NOT heat the room.

A few months ago I went to a different store and spoke to a VERY knowledgeable sales person who after listening to what I was after (something that looked like a real fireplace, that used only a small amount of gas, and could be used for heating the room) suggested a gas insert instead of gas logs. I choose the Mendota Fullview 44i which has the appearance of a real fire, a blower, and a "smart" setting that automatically adjusts the flame hight and turns the unit on and off to achieve the room temp you desire. BEFORE I bought though, someone from the fireplace shop came out to inspect the chimney, gas line, and re-measure the opening. It was installed yesterday and I couldn't be happier. It's just the right size, look and function I wanted all along.

So long story short, make sure they come out to your house to measure and inspect before you commit to a unit. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mendota Fullview gas insert

o
RE: Best place to purchase an insert from?

Thanks, glad to hear you are happy with your new insert. That is what I was nervous about, getting something not quite right for my application. Will make sure someone comes out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here