Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jotul 450 Kennebec Newbie... How many break in fires???

Posted by hatrick (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 7:47

I had a Jotul 450 Kennebec installed a couple of months ago and I am finally firing her up since it is now getting into the 30's. I was wondering how many break in fires I need to burn to get it properly "seasoned" before I can open her up.

I have already made two small fires the past two nights. The first one was very small and mild (1-2 small logs max at a time) which I burned for about 3 hours. It was hot enough to get the blower to come on but not hot enough to raise the room temperature more than a degree or two. The second burn was a bit hotter and did raise the room temp about 5 degrees but I was able to sit 12-18" away from the stove and it wasn't too hot that I had to move (even with the blower going in my face).

Do I need to do any more break in fires or can I safely crank it up and let her rip??

Thanks,
Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jotul 450 Kennebec Newbie... How many break in fires???

We just got a Jotul Kennebec installed. Here is some info from Jotul's website:

Break -in fires

A series of three break-in fires are required. The first is to raise the surface temperature of the stove to 200 degrees. Another is to raise the surface temperature to 300 degrees. And yet another is to raise the surface temperature to 400 degrees. A stovetop thermometer is required for this procedure and the stove should be allowed to cool to room temperature between fires. Note: Use less wood. You can always add more. All current Jtul wood-burning appliances are EPA certified and non-catalytic. EPA certified wood-burning appliances are not 'airtight.' Therefore, exact temperatures may not be able to be maintained. These temperatures are ideal and should be used as a guide for proper appliance break-in.

So it sounds like you need one more break in fire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jotul getting started with wood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here