Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biglumber_gw

Whitfield Pellet Stove

biglumber
17 years ago

Just bought a late 90's whitfield stove. I couldn't pass up the price(used). Two questions; first is can you fire these things outside? Just to test operation? Second is I don't know what the btu rating is on it. Anywhere I can find this info?

I have two choices as far as placement in the house. Basement or master bedroom. My Lopi Liberty heats the house very nicely as our interior is open but it doesn't do anything for our main floor master. Master bedroom is 15 x 13 but this thing may run us out of there. Basement is unfinished and 1750 sq feet with 9 foot ceiling.

Any recommendations?

The stove is not an autostart model. I believe it is a cascade model.

Comments (5)

• dave100
    17 years ago

Actually, I believe it is illegal to install these in a sleeping area.

• biglumber
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That will make the decision a little easier.

• mowerman1193
    17 years ago

My In-Laws just gave me a Whitfield Cascade from the 90's as well..as a half ton of pellets..They used it for 1 year in a trailer then they put in a new double wide and didn't have a use for the pellet burner..

I took the thing all apart and painted it up yesterday and fired it up outside last night to burn off the paint smell before I hook it up into the house..Burned it for about 2 hours last night..So yes you can hook it up outside..I cant wait to get it in the house and hook it up..My first experiance with the pellet stove..Been burning cord wood for ever LOL..

Link below is like mine and has manual downloads ect if you didn't get a manual with yours..

Good luck with it..Also a group on the yahoo groups for pellet stoves with lots of information http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pelletstove/

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitfield cascade

• FO876
    16 years ago

Hello!

I purchased a used Optima3 FS about 4 yrs ago and Im experiencing my first problem. Ive had code errors before but nothing I couldnt figure out or fix in minutes.

The last code error I had I thought it was due to a dirty lens on the photo cell, after taking it out I noticed it wasnt as dirty as expected so I looked elsewhere.
    Well, as it turns out I failed to clean out the ash pan, ashes were overflowing in the burn grate so Im thinking maybe it damaged the ignitor some how?

So I THINK it might be related to the igniter probe but Im unsure at this point. I have manually started a fire (acetylene torch) and it appeared to work normally.

Is there anyone here who is well versed in this model or any model for that matter with a good understanding how these stoves operate cuz I have a few questions if yes :)>

- just to get a better understanding how exactly do the pellets ignite? (I thought the grate got hot like a soldering iron but apparently Im wrong cuz I dont see anything (wires) attached to it.)

- how do you get to the igniter probe, front or back?

• catman-va
    15 years ago

I have a 2000 Whitfield Traditions Pellet Stove and the control board is a little crazy!
    The board has an erratic operation and only works dismounted from the stove. This behavior seems to indicate a short in the wiring; however I have checked and rechecked the wiring without finding a short. You must position the control board in a "just right" position for it to work. Adjustment is required time to time.
    Can the board be repaired and if so where?
    Suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

CatMain-VA