Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
firewood question

Posted by brdldystlu (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 7:19

Hello all. We are buying a house in the country and it has a wood burning fireplace/stove thing. I do plan on using it, chim. is good and inspected so we are good for the go. I have a question about the fire wood though. Can I use any wood if it has been split for over a year? I do plan on tagging some oaks in the woods for cutting/splitting for next winter but want heat this winter. I have a stack of wood at this house but don't know what it is. Has been used for a firepit outside so it didn't matter. But I split it around 2 years ago. It has been stacked on a rack but not covered. There is a metal shed close to the house and I am thinking it would be great for storing firewood. To small to do much more than that. But then I am also hoping that we can move it first, hate where it is.
Thanks for your help.
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: firewood question

wood cut & split a year ago will be fine to burn.
Wood cut 2 years ago will be plenty seasoned. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. A cover put on it now will keep it dry for use this winter.

o

Be careful about storing wood to close to the house. It could contain termites or carpenter ants. My neighbor had to replace a whole wall of their house because the previous owners stored their wood to close to the house and some inside.

o

I guess it all depends on where youlive. Because I stack about a cord at a time on my covered front porch. And I've been doing it since 1992 and have never seen a termite.

o

Termites are in all 50 states with the exception of Alaska, apparently.

Try to use mostly hardwood, if you can. This will cut down on the amount of creosote that you get in the chimney.

o

There are areas of this great country that just burn pine as that's all there is. And if the wood is seasoned enough the creosote wil not build up as the pine burns very hot. (And very fast). We use pine during this time of year and at the end of the season. We use the maple, oak, and beech in our stove during the winter.

o

I haven't had a problem with termites, carpenter ants and wood boring insects either and I stack near my house. Wood boring insects don't touch painted, varnished, or treated surfaces and for the other pests make sure the wood is high off the ground and stays dry you then eliminate two of the four elements required for their survival.

o

You certanily can burn well seasoned pine without problems if you're smart about it.

Given the choice, though, I'd burn hardwood like oak or maple just for the added BTU value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here