Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vented or Non-Vented in new home?

Posted by mjtx2 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 4:20

I want vented logs but my builder *really* wants me to put in non-vented because of the heat lost through the cracks of the glass doors of the vented (when they're closed, of course). Code here doesn't allow a flue for gas logs. They said when they do a blower door test, the glass doors on the gas logs will be a big place heat will escape.

We're putting woodburning in the great room and what they don't know is we often don't even close the flue during the day in the winter because of the smoldering embers and carbon monoxide emitted from them. We burn wood fires four or five nights a week in the winter and use the embers from the night before to light the next night's fire half the time. And wouldn't we be losing heat through the woodburner's flue, anyway? Those things sure don't seem very airtight, at least the ones put in our other, older homes. Maybe things have improved there?

We just want the gas logs in the kitchen for ambiance, but they're about to go if this draft thing is a big problem! Thoughts? Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vented or Non-Vented in new home?

Do not go with the ventless. Our home had one when we bought it and we rarely use it partially due to the smell it gives off. Yes, it does heat the place quickly which is a good thing. A ventless will not give you the ambiance a vented set will give you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here