Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refresh zero clearance front grates/doors?

Posted by williamsem (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 22:50

Short version: can I use high temperature spray paint to paint the fireplace grills/doors?

Long version: we just converted our zero clearance fireplace to gas logs. I found a lovely rescued mantel to replace our old one and repaired/repainted it, and built a new raised hearth to match the new width (I needed to rebuild it anyway, the old mantel was a few inches too wide on each side and looked a bit stupid). So I will be putting on new tiles too.

To finish off the remodel, I wanted to get new doors and new surround/vents/louvers/thingamajigs for the front of the fireplace. But they would need to be custom, and would be about $1200. As it is, the cost of converting to the logs was a bit much given the house, but at least now we can easily use the fireplace.

Can I use high temperature paint to safely paint the outside surround and doors? It's rated up to 1200 degrees, which I would assume is much higher that the temp of the surround during use. The only glitch I have found is the surround seems to be spot welded in places, so I will have to paint some pieces outside and the ones that will not come off will have to be painted in place.

Gloss or matte? That would be the next issue. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refresh zero clearance front grates/doors?

Rutland 1200 degree paint made for stoves/fireplaces would something for you to look into. Understand that if you burn a lot you will have to repeatedly throughout the season refresh the paint even with paint as it will peel off and flake. They offer in spray paint and brush on form.

As far as your doors, are you masonry or factory built. If you are either I would highly suggest checking out other options as a DIY person I have found plenty of more reasonably priced fireplaces, easy to install myself and did even come close to that. Check Woodland Direct, Brick-Anew or Northline Express for your doors. Unless you have some off the wall dimensions, I personally believe you can do better on that price.

o
RE: Refresh zero clearance front grates/doors?

Thanks, TanyaG2013!

I've given up replacing the whole front, I'm not up to dealing with the welded spots and whole faces seem much more expensive.

I did find the mfg info, so that has helped. I've checked out those sites, and if I get just doors I may be able to convince DH we need them. I'm going to leave the doors alone for now, it seems I don't need to do much to replace them down the line if desired. By the time I paint the rest, patch the wall, and retile DH may decide for himself they don't look right :-)

I painted the few pieces I could unscrew today, and they came out great! Not looking forward to the fumes in the house when I do the rest, but my respirator worked perfectly. I'm just freaking out about the flammable warnings and how far to go with the electronics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here